Friday, December 5, 2008

Turtle bread recipe

A couple people liked this so I thought I'd share it!
Here it is: I think you could probably use any bread recipe to make this, but I'm not a genius in the kitchen so I followed the recipe that went with it:

2 1/2 to 3 Cups all purpose flour
1 pkg. quick-acting active dry yeast
1 Tbls. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 Cup water
1/3 Cup milk
1 Tbls. margarine or butter
1 egg
2 raisins

1) Mix 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl.

2) Heat water, milk and margarine to 125 degrees to 130 degrees; stir into yeast mixture. Stir in egg. Stir in enough of remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle.

3) Sprinkle a surface lightly with flour. Turn dough onto the surface; knead until smooth & elastic about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 mintues.

4) Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Shape a 2-inch piece of dough into a ball for head. Shape 4 walnut-size pieces of dough into balls for feet. Shape 1 walnut-size piece of dough into tail. Shape remaining dough into a ball for body; place on cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Attach head, feet & tail by placing 1 end of each under edge of body to secure. Press raisins into head for eyes. Cover & let rise 20 mintues. (I found the eyes/raisins liked to fall off...not sure if you could use a bit of honey, or even water to make them stick better?)

5) Heat oven to 400 degrees. Make crisscross cuts in body, 1/4 inch deep to look like a turtle's shell. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.

Have fun & enjoy =)

2 comments:

Heather S said...

Thanks for the recipe... I think we'll try it this week.. no time like the present ;)

Amber said...

Thanks....Elliot's the "star" this week and has to have a snack for his class each day, so this will be perfect!