Monday, July 12, 2010

Our wild chick chase...

So, we ordered some baby chicks to raise as meat chickens...aww, I know, they're so cute now, and the kids treat them like pets. It's hard to believe that in just 3-4 months they'll be on our table or in our freezer...!
It was quite the ordeal to get these chicks to our house. We'd always heard that the post office would call bright and early in the morning, 7:-7:30ish to let us know our chicks are in. So, I figured they weren't going to be there this particular Tuesday morning (6th). We went about our day, and ran into town to do a few errands around 11. When we got back home there was a message that our chicks were in, I unfortunately tuned out the details of the message, such as WHERE they were since, they'd be coming to our post office in town...right??
We get back in our truck and head BACK to town as I cheerfully walk into the post office and announce I have some chicks to pick up....(thinking to myself, hmmm, strange I don't hear them peeping...) The post office lady looks at me and says, "we don't have any chicks here..."
So, I wonder, WHERE are our chicks??? we FLY back home, as I cross my fingers the message is still on our machine, since I didn't save it, because, well, our chicks are in town...of course.
As usual, luck is not with me. We have a new message, so that means our chick message is erased! Luckily the # was on caller ID and I got a hold of someone, and found out these little buggers were in Eau Claire (about 35 minutes from us). They were at the main post office distribution center. So, on our merry way we went. By this time the kids were wondering if we were REALLY going to find our chicks at this place.
We got them home and dipped their beaks and turned them loose and they have been a wonderful source of entertainment (and a great temptation, hard to leave alone for one little girl)
Even James will LOOK at them all big eyed and just STARE =)



I think they've grown in the few days since we've got them.

5 comments:

Heather S said...

oh..baby chicks!! :)

The Beecham's said...

You wait they GROW SO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!

Neisha said...

aww, cute!

Boppa and G'ma S. said...

Actually, if they actually make it to Osseo Post Office, THEY call you a 6 a.m.!! ;0 :)

Gramm and Gramp said...

We know the story but now we see the chicks, so cute. I would like some for a pet about now but maybe not in a few weeks, ☺
Enjoy, now and when they are dinner